- 5 miles
- Start From:
- Victoria Avenue Car Park, Victoria Avenue, Swanage
- Total Ascent:
- 170m (approx)
- A walk with some steep hills and stunning views over Swanage, Studland and Poole Harbour from the Purbeck Hills.
- Start from the Car park in Victoria Avenue, exit the car park and turn left onto Victoria Avenue and continue along Victoria Avenue past two T junctions.
- T Junction - Turn right at junction and go past the farm building.
- Junction with narrow road - Turn right and follow narrow road north and towards the Purbeck Hills.
- Stile - At stile on the left side, go over stile and follow path across an open field to your right, over next stile and then through bushes to a small bridge.
- Bridge - Cross the bridge and continue north across the field.
- T junction - At the T Junction go straight ahead past the brick works and continue up the hill until you reach Ulwell Road junction.
- T Junction - Go across Ulwell Road and left into lay-by on the right side of the road next to small stream.
- Metal Swing Gate - At the metal swing gate go though the gate and follow path up the hill.
- Start of steep climb - At cross roads in paths continue straight ahead and go up steep hill until you reach the stile at the top.
- The Obelisk - At the Obelisk turn right and follow the track up the hill until you reach the next wooden gate.
- Wooden Gate - At the wooden gate continue straight ahead along the top of the Purbeck Hills.
- Gate and earth mounds - When you come to a gate with large earth mounds to the right, turn right before the gate and follow narrow path down the hill towards Swanage.
- Stile - Go over the stile and follow path down the side of the hill until you come to the lower track, turn left and follow the track down to another stile.
- Stile - Go over the stile and follow the narrow path down the edge of the fields until you come to stone steps.
- Stone Steps - At the stone steps you can either go straight ahead and up second set of steps to return to Swanage via Ulwell Road and the sea front or turn left and follow path and wooden steps down to the beach, turning right at the bottom and following beach back towards the town.
- Victoria Avenue Junction - At T junction with Victoria Avenue, turn left and follow road back to car park and the start of walk.
Move your mouse over the elevation line to view the location on the route map.
Download GPX file for your GPS or Smart Phone. Right-Click or Control-Click and select Save link as to download the file.
Download KML file for Google Earth. Right-Click or Control-Click and select Save link as to download the file.
These routes have been recorded using a Garmin GPS unit. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the available data files due to differences between GPS devices.
Please take care when cycling or walking near cliff edges or steep paths.