Anvil Point Lighthouse
in Local Attractions
Anvil Point Lighthouse is situated within the grounds of Durlston Country Park and approximately 2 miles up the hill from Swanage town centre. Anvil Point is at the eastern end of the Portland limestone and the Purbeck beds that stretch from Durlston Head in the east to St Aldhelm’s Head in the West. The cliffs are popular with walkers and rock climbers.
The lighthouse, which is built from locally quarried stone, was completed in 1881 and opened by Neville Chamberlain's father, Joseph, the then Minister of Transport.
The light is operational 24 hours a day and is positioned to give a waypoint for vessels on passage along the English Channel coast.
To the west, it gives a clear line from Portland Bill, and to the east, guides vessels away from the Christchurch Ledge and leads them into the Solent.
The lighthouse originally used a paraffin vapour burner to illuminate the light.
The station was modernised in 1960 and converted to run on mains electricity.
In 1981, the lighthouse was modernised again, with the old fog signal replaced with new automated equipment.
The fog signal has since been discontinued, and the lighthouse was fully automated on 31st May 1991.
It is now controlled by Trinity House Operations and Planning Centre at Harwich.
Tilly Whim Caves
Attraction - 0.12 miles away
Durlston Country Park
Attraction - 0.31 miles away
Attraction - 0.37 miles away
Townsend Nature Reserve
Attraction - 0.87 miles away
Attraction - 1.05 miles away
Parks and Gardens
Attraction - 1.07 miles away
Swanage Sea Rowing Club
Attraction - 1.10 miles away
Prince Albert Gardens
Attraction - 1.11 miles away
Swanage Museum and Heritage Centre
Attraction - 1.14 miles away
Flooding in Swanage
Attraction - 1.15 miles away