Purbeck History from 8000 BC to Present

A brief history of the Isle of Purbeck from -8000 BC to present.

Scroll left or right to view the history of the area. Click on any of the white date icons to view the details for each date and click the history information box to return to the history list.

10000 BC
 
 
 
 
9000 BC
 
 
 
 
8000 BC
 
 
 
 
7000 BC
 
 
 
 
6000 BC
 
 
 
 
5000 BC
 
 
 
 
4000 BC
 
 
 
 
3000 BC
 
 
 
 
2000 BC
 
 
 
 
1000 BC
 
 
0
 
 
 
100
 
 
 
200
 
 
 
300
 
 
 
400
 
 
 
500
 
 
 
600
 
 
 
700
 
 
 
800
 
 
 
900
 
 
 
1000
 
 
 
1100
 
 
 
1200
 
 
 
1300
 
 
 
1400
 
 
 
1500
 
 
 
1600
 
 
 
1700
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1710
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1720
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1730
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1740
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1750
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1760
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1770
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1780
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1790
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1800
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1810
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1820
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1830
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1840
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1850
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1860
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1870
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1880
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1890
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1900
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1910
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1920
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1930
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1940
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1950
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1960
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1970
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1980
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1990
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2000
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2010
 
 
 
 
8000 BC
First known settlement

The first known settlement of Dorset was by Mesolithic hunters, from around 8000 BC. Their populations were small and concentrated along the coast in the Isle of Purbeck, Weymouth, Chesil Beach, and along the Stour valley.

6000 BC
Burial mounds around Corfe Common

Burial mounds around the common of Corfe Castle suggest that the area was occupied from 6000BC. The common also points to a later Celtic field system worked by the Durotriges tribe.

2800 BC
Stonehenge

Stonehenge was built in several stages from 2800 - 1800 BC.

2000 BC
Standing Stones at Rempstone

The bronze age Standing Stones at Rempstone erected. They are thought to date to around 2200-1400 BC

50
Roman Invasion

The Romans invade Britain. Evidence has been found showing Roman settlements in the Isle of Purbeck.

877
Danish fleet wrecked

A Danish fleet of ships is wrecked off of the coast at Swanage.

877
Anglo-Saxon Chronicle

The ancient Mill House and Pond, in the heart of Swanage, was first mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle in this year.

18 Mar 978
Edward the Martyr

Edward the Martyr was king of the English from 975 until he was murdered in 978 probably at or near the mound on which the ruins of Corfe Castle now stand.

1100
St. Nicholas of Myra church

The St. Nicholas of Myra church in Worth was first built in about 1100

1140
Norman Chapel built

The Norman Chapel at St Aldhelm's Head is built. The Chapel is named after the first bishop of Sherborne.

1200
Parish Church built

Original parish church built

1297
First Rector of Swanage

The Rev. Henry Terry was made the first Rector of Swanage.

1300
Godlingston Manor built

Godlingston Manor, the medieval house at the northern end of Swanage is built. It originally comprised of an open hall with a cross passage, service wing, tower and parlour. The tower is probably defensive and may predate the rest of the house.

1338
French Invade

Swanage was burned and plundered by French raiders

1594
The Bells

One of the earliest recorded church bells was installed in St Mary's Church.

1615
King James 1st

King James was the last king to hunt in the Isle of Purbeck.

1643
First siege of Corfe Castle

First siege of Corfe Castle

1646
Second siege of Corfe Castle

The second siege, in 1646, was resisted for two months before the castle was betrayed by a member of the garrison. After its capture, the castle was slighted (destroyed) with some explosives and mainly by undermining to ensure that it could never stand again as a Royalist stronghold.

1701
Manor of Swanage

The Manor of Swanage, later the Royal Victoria Hotel was built by Thomas Chapman

1705
Congregational chapel

Congregational chapel built, rebuilt in 1837

1744
John Wesley preached at Swanage

John Wesley preached at Swanage. He stayed at a house in the High Street, The house was later named Wesley Cottage. It was destroyed by a German bomb in world war 2

1752
The Square and Compass

The Square and Compass Pub at Worth Matravers built.

1754
Old mill was rebuilt

The old mill was rebuilt

1762
Major Fire at Wareham

In 1762, a fire destroyed two thirds of the town, which has been rebuilt in Georgian architecture with red brick and Purbeck limestone, following the Roman street pattern.

1778
Wareham South Bridge rebuilt

The southern bridge at Wareham was rebuilt to replace the one which dated back to the 11th century.

1788
John Mowlem born

John Mowlem was born in an ancient cottage in what is now Court Hill. He was the founder of the well known London contractors. He was a poor quarry boy until he made his way to London to seek his fortune. Guernsey granite rather than Purbeck stone brought him wealth and he retired to Swanage in 1844. He is responsible for the building of the monument on the sea front, the Albert the Good monument at the top of Court Hill (no longer there) and the Mowlem Institute. He bought land from the area which is now Kings Road to Ulwell.

1793
Church Hill Cottages

The cottages in Church Hill built

1801
First Census

The first census was taken in Swanage. 300 houses and a population of 1382.

1803
First Policeman

The first Policeman in Swanage started work here.

1807
Wesleyan chapel

The old Wesleyan chapel was built

1810
End of quarrying at Tilly Whim

Tilly Whim was last quarried in 1810

1816
George Burt was born

George Burt was born. He was the nephew of John Mowlem. He brought two items from London, the Wellington clock tower at Peveril and the 17th century facade from the Mercers Hall in Cheapside which he used for his new town hall in 1864. He bought land from Sentry Fields (at the top of Seymore Road) to Durlston. George Burt provided Swanage with a pure water supply, gas, drainage and the railway.

1823
Seafront Wall

The road along the seafront was built.

1825
First Steam Public Railway

Opening of the first steam operated public railway in 1825

12 Oct 1826
First Cemetery

The parish's first detached cemetery is consecrated across the road from St Mary's Church.

1833
Queen Victoria Visits

Princess Victoria, later Queen Victoria, spent a night at the Manor House Hotel. It was later renamed the Royal Victoria Hotel

16 Nov 1834
The old brewery burns down

The Old Brewery situated between the goods yard and Kings Road is burnt to the ground. The flames shot up to 150 feet and two thirds of the bay were covered in half an inch of black ash.

1843
Town hall built

George Burt built the town hall

1845
Blue Pool

Blue Pool started to be dug for clay works

1855
St Marks school built

St Marks school at Herston was built

12 Oct 1856
First Cemetery

Swanage's second cemetery is built at the west end of Northbrook Road. The site coves 1 ½ acres.

1859
First pier built

Swanage old pier built

1862
Albert the Good

A monument in memory of Price Albert is erected by John Mowlem in the High Street above Court Hill.

1862
Cannon ball column

The cannon ball column on Swanage seafront is erected by John Mowlem to commemorate a battle between the Saxons and Danes in Swanage Bay.

1863
Mowlem Institute built

Mowlem Institute built by John Mowlem. He built it as a reading room "for the benefit and mutual improvement of the working class"

1863
Population of 1173

Population of Swanage was 1173

1869
Saint Marks church built

Herston (saint Marks) church built

1869
Swanage gasworks built

Swanage gasworks built

1874
Mount Scar first school opened

Swanage Combined School (now Mount Scar first school) opened.

1875
first lifeboat

The first lifeboat, the Charlotte Mary, came to Swanage

1875
Purbeck House built

Purbeck House built on the High Street

24 Jan 1879
Annie Margretta

The 500 ton Norwegian timber schooner Annie Margretta was lost beneath Ballard Head. Rescue efforts were hampered by strong easterly winds.

1880
Swanage Bay Frozen

Swanage Bay was frozen in the coldest winter on record for the area.

1882
Light House built

The light house was built

1882
Light House Opened

The light house was opened

1885
Swanage railway opened

Swanage railway opened

1887
Durlston Castle built

Durlston Castle was built by George Burt

1889
Grand Hotel built

Grand Hotel built overlooking the bay

1890
Swanage Cottage Hospital built

Swanage Cottage Hospital was built

1892
Ballard Down Obelisk erected

After being demolished in London the Ballard Down Obelisk was transported to Swanage and erected by George Burt above the Ulwell Gap. It toppled over and was re-erected again the following year.

1896
Old Harry's Wife collapses

Old Harry's Wife collapses into the sea.

1896
New Pier built

Swanage pier was built at the cost of £10,000.

1899
Police Station built

The police station was built

1904
Sea wall built

The sea wall was built

1911
Swanage Conservative Club built

The Conservative Club in Kings Road is built by the third Earl of Eldon.

1912
Antartic Expedition

Edgar Evans left the house he was living in at 82 High Street to travel with Captain Robert Scott and three other companions on their ill-fated Antartic Expedition to the south pole.

10 Mar 1914
Swanage Flooded

Swanage town centre was flooded after heavy rain. The rain started on Saturday night and did not stop until Monday evening.

1921
Emmanuel Baptist Church

Emmanuel Baptist Church, the red brick built church in the High Street opens its doors for the first time. The foundation stones were laid the previous year by Beatrice Ellen Beebe and Pastor James Wicks.

12 Jul 1933
Edward, Price of Wales drops in on Swanage

Gale force winds forced the princes plane to make an emergency landing during a trip to Weymouth. The plane landed in a field near Godlingston Farm and the Prince was given a lift to Weymouth by Captin F.R. Bacon of the brickworks.

1936
The Mill Pond closes

The last sack of corn from Herson is ground in the Mill House at the Mill Pond off of Church Hill.

1940
Ballard Down Obelisk dismantled

The Ballard Down Obelisk was dismantled due to the fear that it might be used as a navigational aid by German pilots.

13 Jun 1940
HMS Abel Tasman sunk

While entering the entrance to Poole Harbour the HMS Abel Tasman hit a German mine and was blown to pieces. All 11 crew members were killed.

20 Apr 1942
Air Raid on Swanage

An air raid by German bombers damaged houses in Cornwall Road and buildings in Station Road

14 May 1942
Air Raid on Swanage

An air raid by German bombers damaged Wesley's Cottage.

13 Jul 1942
Air Raid on Swanage

An air raid by German bombers injured 3 people and damaged buildings in Park Road.

8 Aug 1942
Air Raid on Swanage

An air raid by two German Focke-Wulf FW-190 fighters that were each carrying single 250-kg bombs. They machine-gunned people on the beach and promenade before releasing their bombs, one of which destroyed the Westminster Bank in Institute Road and other fell in the sea. They killed 8 people and wounded 39. Several other buildings in Institute Road were damaged as were The Narrows in the High Street and St Mary's Church.

23 Aug 1942
Air Raid on Swanage

An air raid by German bombers killed 5 people and wounded 9. Buildings in the Square suffered extensive damage including Swanage Dairies and The Ship Inn.

1951
Purbeck Golf Club bought by Enid Blyton

The Isle of Purbeck Golf Club is purchased by children's author Enid Blyton and her husband Kenneth Darrel-Waters.

1954
Punch and Judy

The first Punch and Judy show came to Swanage

1956
All Saints Church

All Saints Church in Ulwell Road was built by George Parsons of Swanage.

1970
Agglestone Rock falls over

Agglestone Rock falls over onto it's side.

1972
Swanage railway closed

Swanage railway closed

1973
Ballard Down Obelisk rebuilt

The Ballard Down Obelisk was rebuilt by a group of Royal Engineers.

1974
Durlston Country Park

Durlston Country Park is opened to the public. Durlston Country Park is a 280 acre nature reserve stretched along the coast of the Isle of Purbeck near Swanage in Dorset, England. The park, which is part of the Jurassic Coast world heritage site, has been owned by Dorset county council since the early 1970s and is mostly open access.

1976
Belle Vue Cliffs bought by National Trust

Belle View Cliffs, west of Durlston Country Park is bought by the National Trust.

1979
Railway re-opened.

Swanage steam railway re-opened. It was run by volunteers and still is.

1980
Dinosaur footprints

30 dinosaur footprints were discovered in Townsend Road

1990
Major Flooding

Swanage was flooded, an area covering most of the lower part of Northbrook road, Kings Road, Victoria Av was under water and the car park and King Georges field was under more than 7 feet of water. The town had to bee closed to traffic and many people were evacuated from their homes by boat.

1993
Flood scheme jetty built

Flood scheme jetty built at the end of Victoria Avenue to stop flooding in the future.

1995
Virtual Swanage launched

This website was first launched in 1995 with 4 pages!

1996
Last paddle steamer

The Embassy, the last paddle steamer to make regular trips to and from Swanage made its final visit here.

1997
First stage of flood scheme

First stage of the flood scheme finished

1999
Top of pier rebuilt

The top section of the main pier reopened after being completely rebuilt.

2000
Flood alleviation scheme finished

Swanage Flood alleviation scheme finished, it is supposed to stop the town from flooding ever again

2001
Major flooding

Major flooding in the town after a day's rain !!!

2001
Jurassic Coast Chartered

The Jurassic Coast is a World Heritage Site on the English Channel coast of southern England. The site stretches from Orcombe Point near Exmouth in East Devon to Old Harry Rocks near Swanage in East Dorset, a distance of 95 miles.

2002
Major Flooding

Swanage is flooded again after heavy rain. Flood water averaging eight inches in depth flooded a number of homes, shops and businesses in the town.

31 May 2002
Large Fire

Major fire in the town centre on 31st May. The chip shop in the square is completely gutted with the top 2 floors having smoke damage.

2005
Beach recharge scheme

Swanage Beach recharge scheme adds new sand back to the beach

2006
Lottery grant

Durlston Country Park win £3.2m from a lottery grant

2007
Corfe Castle repairs

Major repairs started on Corfe Castle

29 Jun 2011
Swanage Library reopens

Following an extensive refurbishment programme, Swanage Library reopened after six months of improvement work.

17 Nov 2011
Durlston Castle reopens

Work at Durlston Castle started in May 2010 with the help of a £5.5m Heritage Lottery Fund contribution. The Castle now has a new visitor centre, gallery, shop and cinema room.

Sep 2013
Swanage opens first secondary free school

The Swanage School is an independently run secondary school which will be moving to a new purpose built school on the old Middle School site in 2014

1 Dec 2013
Seafront Stabilisation Project Starts

Work started on the new seafront stabilisation project and work in the Broad Road car park to reduce the risk of land slides.

Feb 2014
Flooding and Cliff Falls

After strong storms parts of the lower High Street had flooding and large sections of the cliffs at Ocean Bay collapsed onto beach huts and the beach

25 Apr 2014
The Swanage School

The new Swanage School built on the site of the older Swanage Middle School opened.