Purbeck House Convent and Cars
Purbeck House - Convent of Our Lady of Mercy which is a Grade II Listed Building in the High Street. Photo was taken in the 1950s.
Purbeck House was built in 1875, replacing an earlier 18th century house on the site and designed by architect G Crickmay. It was Built for George Burt, nephew and successor of John Mowlem, as his own house.
It was later home to the Convent of Our Lady of Mercy and had a school in the grounds between 1935 and 1994.
The building is now The Purbeck House Hotel.
Image Ref: VS2126
Tags: High StreetHistoric