High Street and the Narrows
This photo taken in the early 1900s shows the top of Church Hill and the High Street looking east towards the section which was know as The Narrows.
On the corner of Church Hill to the High Street was the butchers called Sticklands.
The tall three-story building on the right was an antique shop at the front and behind was a candlewick factory. This was severely damaged by fire in 1961 and resulted in the building being demolished.
In the foreground is Strong’s Ales & Stout shop and alongside the Labour Social Club.
The buildings to the left of the church towers were destroyed by German Luftwaffe on 17th August 1942
Image Ref: VS2230
Tags: ChurchHigh StreetHistoricShops