- Off Road Ride
- 14 miles
- Start From:
- Victoria Avenue Car park, Victoria Avenue, Swanage/dd>
- Total Ascent:
- 410m (1345 feet) approx
- A hilly ride around the Isle of Purbeck with some long off road climbs and downhill sections with views over Poole Harbour, Studland Bay and across Purbeck from the top of the Purbeck Hills.
- Car Park - Start from the Car park in Victoria Avenue, exit the car park and turn right onto Victoria Avenue and then left onto Northbrook Road and continue up Northbrook Road. At mini roundabout go straight ahead and follow the road until the junction with the main road.
- T Junction - Ulwell Road and Darkie Lane - Turn left onto Ulwell Road.
- Y Junction - Turn left at junction and proceed up steep hill.
- T Junction - B3351 Junction - Turn right at top of hill and follow road past golf course until you come to a small clearing on your left with a wooden gate and 3 parking spaces.
- B3351 Parking Area and Gate - Turn left through gate at small parking area on left and continue SA for approx. 300 meters past open area of the golf course.
- Y Junction - Turn Left where Track splits off and follow track a short distance until you come to a junction in the bushes on the right with a stone bridleway sign.
- Junction - Turn right and follow the twisting track down and in a North direction across the heathland. Contunue straight ahead at a wooden gate and continue down and along the track until you come to a level section of track with water each side and a bridleway sign on the left. Bare left and follow the narrow track until you come to an open field.
- Field - Continue along the field with the hedge on your left side. Ride towards the barn in the distance until you come to a gate.
- Gate - Go through the wooden gate and then turn left though a second gate and cross the small stream following the track up onto a chalky track.
- Junction - Turn right and follow the wide bridleway track into Rempstone Forest.
- Cross Roads - When you come to a cross roads in the track bare right and follow the bridleway until you come to a cross road with a tarmac road.
- Gate and Road - Go straight ahead across the road to the wooden gates.
- Wooden Gate - Go through the wooden gate and follow the wide track towards the trees and down a sandy hill until you come to a metal gate, go straight ahead at the gate and continue along the grass track until you come to a wooden gate and cross roads.
- Cross Roads - Turn left and follow the chalk track until you come to a tarmac road.
- Tarmac Road Junction - Turn left onto the tarmac road and continue along the road until you come to a cross roads with a rough track on your right.
- Cross Roads and Track entrance - Turn right onto the bridleway track and follow the track along a level section which can be muddy in winter, the track climbs a small slope and narrows to a single-track and then opens again into a wide farm lane. Continue along the track until you come to a T junction with a tarmac road.
- T Junction - Turn left and follow the road in a Southerly direction until you come to a junction.
- Junction - Continue straight ahead at the junction and continue to next T junction.
- T Junction - Turn right onto the B3351 and continue until you come to a junction and narrow road on your left for Rollington Farm.
- Rollington Farm junction - Turn left and follow the track past the farm buildings until you come to a metal gate.
- Metal Gate - Go though the metal gate and follow the bridleway track as it bares left then right up the valley until you come to the transmitter towers on your left side and gates.
- Gate and Transmitter Towers - At the transmitter site go through the gate heading East and then bare right and follow the wide track down the side of the hill until you come to a wide gate on your right side.
- Gate and Junction - At the bottom of the track bare left and follow the narrow bridleway along the side of the Pubeck Hills heading East past several gates.
- Track Junction - Continue straight along the side of the hill following the narrow bridleway.
- Knitson Farm Junction - Bare left when the track goes down a small hill and continue straight along the side of the hill following the narrow bridleway past a mobile phone mast on the left side until you come to the main track which takes you to the top of the Purbeck Hills from Ulwell Road.
- Gate - Continue straight ahead though the gate and follow the narrow bridleway along the side of the hill.
- Downhill Start - Bare right onto the wider track and follow the track down the valley until you come to the metal gates and Ulwell Road.
- Ulwell Road - Turn right onto Ulwell Road (caution very busy road, take care) and follow Ulwell Road down to Swanage and continue along the Sea Front until you come to a T junction with Victoria Avenue.
- Victoria Avenue - Turn right onto Victoria Avenue and follow the road back to the Car Park and start of the ride.
Move your mouse over the elevation line to view the location on the route map.
Download GPX file for your GPS or Smart Phone. Right-Click or Control-Click and select Save link as to download the file.
Download KML file for Google Earth. Right-Click or Control-Click and select Save link as to download the file.
These routes have been recorded using a Garmin GPS unit. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the available data files due to differences between GPS devices.
Please take care when cycling or walking near cliff edges or steep paths.