- Road Ride
- 50 miles
- Start From:
- Victoria Avenue Car park, Victoria Avenue, Swanage
- Total Ascent:
- 950m (approx)
- A 50 mile ride around the Isle of Purbeck from Swanage to Lulworth and Moreton returning via Wool, Wareham, Corfe Castle, Kingstone, and Langton Matravers. The ride uses country roads as much as possible and avoids the main busy roads. The ride goes along a section of the army ranges which are normally open at weekends and school holidays. Dorset County Council have a list of the opening dates on their website at https://www.dorsetforyou.com/lulworth-range-walks.
- Start at the car park in Victoria Avenue, exit the car park and turn right on to Victora Avenue.
- Northbrook Road Junction - Turn left onto Northbrook Road and continue up the hill until you come to a mini roundabout.
- Roundabout - At the mini roundabout contine straight ahead along Darkie Lane.
- Ulwell Road and Darkie Lane - Turn Left onto Ulwell Road and continue along the road until the Y junction.
- Y Junction - Turn left at the junction and continue along the road and up steep hill until the T junction.
- B3351 T Junction - At the T junction with the B3351 turn left and follow the road until you come to a T junction at Corfe Castle.
- A351 and B3351 Junction - Turn right onto the A351 and then left at the next junction. Caution this is a very busy road at weekends and in the summer.
- A351 Junction - Junction to Church Knowle - Turn left at the junction signposted to Church Knowle, Steeple and Kimmeridge and follow the road heading west through the village of Church Knowle and continue along the road until it bares right and up a steep hill to a Y junction at the top of the hill.
- Grange Hill Y junction - Grange Hill Junction - At the top of Grange Hill turn left at the junction and follow the road across the top of the army ranges across the ridge line and down towards Lulworth. Please note that the range roads are only open at weekends and school holidays. There is a car park at the highest point which is a idea place for a break to take photos.
- B3070 and Army By-Pass Junction - At the junction continue straight ahead.
- B3070 and B3071 Junction - Turn left and continue down the hill to Lulworth.
- West Road Junction - Turn Right onto West Road and continue along the road until the junction with Church Road. (If you want to visit Lulworth Cove, continue straight ahead rather than turning into West Road.
- Church Road junction - Turn right onto Church Road and continue along the road until you come to a sharp right corner with a junction on the left. There is a church and graveyard just before this junction.
- Junction to East Chaldon Road - Turn left onto East Chaldon Road and follow the road through a small village. There is a pub called the Sailors Return which is a good place for a drink and food stop. Continue along this road over a steep hill climb and down to the cross roads junction with the A352.
- Wareham Road (A352) and A352 cross road - At the cross roads continue straight ahead on the road with a sign for Tadnoll 1 1/4. Take care at this crossing as the A352 is very busy. Follow Redbridge Road until you come to a T junction with a bridge on the right side.
- Redbridge Road Junction - Turn right at the junction and go over the bridge and follow the road until you come to a Y junction with Station Road.
- Y Junction - Turn left at the junction and continue along the road until you come to a Y junction on your right with a small sign on the left for Village Hall.
- Y Junction - Turn Right at the Y junction and follow the narrow road until the junction with the B3390.
- B3390 Junction - Turn right onto the B3390 and follow the road until you come to a cross roads with a sign for Wareham on the right side.
- B3390 Cross Roads - Turn right at the cross roads and follow the road until you come to a T junction with a sign for Bere Regis 3 and Picnic Area.
- T Junction - Turn Left at the junction and continue until a T junction on your right for Lane End,
- Lane End Junction - At the T junction with a sign for Lane End, turn right and follow the road until you come to a T junction with Sugar Hill and Stop signs on the junction.
- Sugar Hil Junction - Turn right at the junction and follow the road going though Wareham Forest until you come to a roundabout.
- Roundabout - At the roundabout continue straight ahead and walk across the railway crossing and then continue straight ahead until you come to a second roundabout.
- A351 Roundabout (Wareham) - At the roundabout continue straight ahead into the town of Wareham. Caution, this roundabout is very busy so take care. There is an alternative walkway and cycleway route under the road on the right side approx 100m before the roadabout. Follow the road though Wareham and over the causeway until you come the village of Stoborough and a T junction on the left side onto Nutcrack Lane.
- South Causeway and Nutcrack Lane Junction - Turn left at the junction with Nutcrack Lane and follow the narrow road heading East past the houses at Ridge until you come to a Y junction with sign for Arne and Corfe Castle.
- Arne Road Junction - Turn right at junction and follow road across the heathland over 2 cattle grids until you come to a T junction just past the railway bridge.
- T Junction - Turn right at junction and then left at roundabout following the A351 towards Corfe Castle and continue though the village until you come to a Y junction on your right with a sign for Langton Matravers and Kingston.
- Kingston Hill and East Street Junction - Turn right at the junction and follow the steep hil up to Kingston Village.
- Kingston Village - Follow the road as it turns left at the village and continue along the road and down though the village of Langton Matravers (take care as narrow road with people crossing between parked cars) until you reach the Y junction with Valley Road.
- Valley Road Junction - Turn right onto Valley Road and follow the road into Swanage until the road goes left at the Y junction with the High Street.
- High Street Junction - Turn right onto the High Street and continue along the road.
- Court Road Cross Road - At the cross road at the bottom of Court Road, continue straight ahead and follow the narrow road along side the railway until you come to a T junction with a stone bridge on your left.
- Court Road and Northbrook Road Junction - At the T junction turn left over the bridge and follow the road down to the junction with Victoria Avenue. Turn left and follow Victoria Avenue back to the start.
Move your mouse over the elevation line to view the location on the route map.
Download GPX file for your GPS or Smart Phone. Right-Click or Control-Click and select Save link as to download the file.
Download KML file for Google Earth. Right-Click or Control-Click and select Save link as to download the file.
These routes have been recorded using a Garmin GPS unit. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the available data files due to differences between GPS devices.
Please take care when cycling or walking near cliff edges or steep paths.