- Off Road Ride
- 10.6 miles
- Start From:
- Start from layby on Ulwell Road at the Welcome to Swanage signs./dd>
- Total Ascent:
- 350m (approx)
- A hilly ride over the Purbeck Hills, around Rempstone Forest and back via Studland Heath
- Start at the layby on the side of the Ulwell Road on the outskirts of Swanage. Head north along the road out of Swanage.
- Y Junction - Turn left at the junction and follow the road along the side of the Purbeck hills and up a steep hill to the next T junction.
- T Junction - Turn left at the junction and continue until the road turns right to the viewpoint. On your left is a gate and bridleway.
- Gate and start of Off road - Go through the gate and follow the bridleway up towards Nine Barrow Down untl you come to the next gate.
- Gate - Go straight ahead at the gate and follow the rough track through the woods and up to the top of the hill. There is a second gate approx half way up the hill and continue following the track until you come to an open field. Follow the track across the field until you come to a gate at the top.
- Gate - Continue through the gate and follow the track which goes to your right until you come to the main bridleway track at the top of the hill. Turn right and follow the track until you come to the next gate.
- Gate - Go through the gate and follow the track along the top of the hill past the barrows on your right until you come to the next set of gates after a short downhill section. There is a gate on the right side of the track just before the double gates. Turn right at the gate.
- Gate and start of downhill - Turn right through the gate and follow the wide track to the left down the hill until you come to another gate, continue through the gate and down around a sharp right bend to a T junction and wider track.
- T Junction rough track - Turn right onto the rough track and continue down the track until you come to a gate with a gap on the side and a small parking area at the road.
- B3351 Crossing - At the road continue straight ahead and follow the narrow road down the hill until you come to a cross roads and junction.
- Junction - Turn right and follow the narrow road heading east, the road turns slightly left past a house and onto a rough track. Follow this until you come to a gate at the edge of the trees.
- Gate and start of forest track - Continue straight ahead through the gate and follow the wide track up the hill heading east until you come to a left turn with a large metal tank with "Franks Tank" painted on the side.
- Franks Tank - At the large metal tank, turn left and follow the track up a small hill and continue along the track on the edge of the heathland until you come to a junction with a bridleway on the right side.
- Junction and stream crossing - Turn right and continue across the stream (or use bridge) and up a short hill to a gate.
- Gate - Turn left at the gate and follow the bridleway track past a barn (on right side) and continue straight ahead to the next gate.
- Gate and junction - Go through the gate and follow the wide track heading south east until you come to the road with a gate on your right side.
- Road junction and gate - At the road, turn right though the gate and follow the wide track across the heathland until you come to a junction with the track on your left.
- Junction - Turn left and follow the sandy track down to the river crossing. This can be muddy in winter and loose sand in the summer months.
- River crossing and gate - At the river/stream, turn right and go straight ahead at the next gate and follow the bridleway up the hill until you come to a cross road junction with bridleway signs.
- Cross roads junction - Turn right at the cross roads and follow the track until you come to a T junction on your right side.
- Junction and gate - Turn right at the junction and continue straight ahead through the gate, follow the rough singletrack up the side of the heathland continuing though gates until you come to a T junction at the top of the golf course.
- Junction Golf Course - Turn left at the golf course and follow the narrow track up the hill until you come to the road with a small parking area on the right side.
- Road junction - Turn left onto the road and continue along a short flat section and down a steeper section until you come to the next junction on your right. Caution busy road so take care.
- T junction - Turn right then right again and follow the road down the hill towards Swanage and back to the start.
Move your mouse over the elevation line to view the location on the route map.
Download GPX file for your GPS or Smart Phone. Right-Click or Control-Click and select Save link as to download the file.
Download KML file for Google Earth. Right-Click or Control-Click and select Save link as to download the file.
These routes have been recorded using a Garmin GPS unit. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the available data files due to differences between GPS devices.
Please take care when cycling or walking near cliff edges or steep paths.