- Off Road Ride
- 14 miles
- Start From:
- Victoria Avenue Car park, Victoria Avenue, Swanage/dd>
- Total Ascent:
- 490m (1620ft) (approx)
- A 14 mile ride along the Purbeck Hills to Corfe Castle, across the valley on open fields and bridleways, then following a twisting technical single-track down to Chapmans Pool, returning to Swanage via Worth Matravers and the Priests Way.
- Start from the Car park in Victoria Avenue, exit the car park and turn right onto Victoria Avenue and then left onto Northbrook Road.Continue along Northbrook Road until you come to a mini roundabout and go straight ahead past the road junction on your left, until you come to a T Junction onto Ulwell Road.
- Ulwell Road and Darkie Lane - Turn left onto main road and continue along the road until a right bend with a wide track on your left and double gates.
- Start of Off Road - Turn left and go through the gate and follow the rough track through the valley and up the side of the Purbeck Hills towards Corfe Castle. Follow the track along the top of the hill, going through several gates until you come to the second transmitter site and continue straight ahead at the gate and follow the track down the hill towards Corfe Castle. At the next gate continue straight ahead on the tarmac road (Sandy Hill Lane) down to the T junction with the A351 and East Street.
- T Junction A351 - Turn left onto East Street and follow the road up the hill until you come to the village square and turn right into the square . This road is very busy so take care when turning right at the village square.
- The Square - Turn right into the village square and continue along West Street until you come to a cattle grid at the entrance to Corfe Common.
- Corfe Common - Turn left onto the common before the cattle grid and follow fenced in section for approx 30m until you come to a gate.
- Gate - Go straight ahead at the gate and follow the path across the common until you come to a cross roads and gate at the B3069.
- B3069 Crossing - Go straight across the B3069 onto the east section of Corfe Common and go through a wooden gate and follow the track up a small slope and then bare left and follow the track east across the common until you come to a wooden gate and Valley Road.
- Valley Road junction - Turn right onto Valley Road and follow the road until you come to a junction on your right with a sign for Afflington Manor Farm.
- Junction Afflington Manor Farm - Turn right onto the narrow road and follow the road down into the valley until you come to the farm yard.
- Farm Bridleway - Go through the farm yard and turn right behind the farm buildings and follow the bridleway up a rough track.
- Gate - Continue to follow the rough track up the side of the valley until you come to a T junction and road.
- Road Junction - At the junction with the B3069 turn right then left into a narrow bridleway next to a house. There is a wooden bridleway sign at the entrance marked Chapmans Pool.
- Chapmans Pool Bridleway - Go through the narrow entrance between the houses and follow the bridleway signs past several gates down through the valley until you come to a tarmac road. This track has a very steep section and rocky sections so take care.
- Junction with road - At the tarmac road, turn left and follow the steep road up to the farm. You can extend this route with a trip to Chapmans Pool by turning right at this junction and following the bridleway down to the coast and then returning the same route. This adds approx 2.5 miles to the ride.
- Farm - Go through the metal gate and turn left at the farm and follow Renscombe Road to Worth Matravers village.
- Square and Compass pub - At the Square and Compass pub, continue straight ahead up though the village until you come to a bridleway sign on your right marked for Priests Way.
- Priests Way start - Go thought the gate and follow the track across the field until you come to the next gate.
- Gate - Go straight ahead at the gate and follow the wide track along the Priests Way to Swanage passing through several gates. This track can be busy in summer months.
- Wooden Gate and Junction - Go through the gate and turn right and follow the track past farm buildings to a metal gate.
- Junction - Turn left and follow the narrow track down the hill and though next gate to a cross roads in the path.
- Path Cross Roads - Turn left then right onto a narrow tarmac road and continue straight ahead until you come to Higher Days Road.
- Higher Days Road - Go straight ahead onto Benleese Way and follow the road down the hill to the T junction with the High Street.
- High Street Junction - Turn right onto the High Street and follow the road over the railway bridge and back to the start at the Victoria Avenue car park.
Best viewed in HD 720p mode via the cog icon on the video player.
Click the play icon next to each stage of the route to view the section on the video.
Tablet and mobile users must press play on the video before selecting from the route instructions otherwise the video will not play due to restrictions on your tablet/mobile device.
Move your mouse over the elevation line to view the location on the route map.
Download GPX file for your GPS or Smart Phone. Right-Click or Control-Click and select Save link as to download the file.
Download KML file for Google Earth. Right-Click or Control-Click and select Save link as to download the file.
These routes have been recorded using a Garmin GPS unit. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the available data files due to differences between GPS devices.
Please take care when cycling or walking near cliff edges or steep paths.