Around the Purbeck Hills
- Start at the layby on the side of the Ulwell Road on the outskirts of Swanage. Head north along the road out of Swanage.
- Y Junction - Turn left at the junction and follow the road along the side of the Purbeck hills and up a steep hill to the next T junction.
- T Junction - Turn left at the junction and continue on the B3351 until you come to a stone bridge and junction with the A351 at Corfe Castle.
- A351 and East Street and B33511 Junction - Turn right onto the A351, caution this is a very busy road.
- Church Knowle Junction - Turn left and follow the narrow road around the base of Corfe Castle, over a small bridge and follow the road though the village of Church Knowle until you come to a small crossroads.
- Cross Roads - At the cross roads, turn right (sign post for Stoborough and Wareham) and follow the narrow road up and over the steep hill. Follow the road until you come to the next T junction with a sign post for Church Knowle, Furzebrook, Stoborough and Wareham. Turn Left at the T junction
- T Junction - Turn left at the T junction and continue though the village of East Creech until you come to a Y junction next to a telephone box. Turn Left.
- Y junction - Turn left at the junction and follow the road South up a long hill and around to the right, continue down the road until you come to a T junction with Grange Road.
- Grange Road Junction - At the junction, turn left and follow the very steep climb up the hill until you come to a small gravel car park on your left and the next junction. There is often an Ice Cream van at the weekends at the car park so it is a good location to stop and take in the views.
- Time for Ice Cream - Time to take a break and enjoy the views! At the top of Grange Hill follow the road along the ridge and then left down the hill. Take care as many cars are in the middle of the road on the decents and there are a lot of blind corners. Follow the road heading East back to Church Knowle and continue to the T junction at Corfe Castle.
- Church Knowle Return - Turn right onto the A351 (caution very busy road) and continue around the edge of Corfe Castle going past the T junction for Studland (outward ride) and then turn left at the next right bend onto Sandy Hill Lane.
- East Street and Sandy Hill Lane - Turn left onto Sandy Hill lane and follow the narrow road past several farms until you come to a T junction on your Left with a slow sign on the road and the Swanage brickworks buildings on the left.
- Washpond Lane and Brickyard Lane Junction - Turn left onto Brickyard Lane and follow the road up the hill until the next junction with Darkie Lane.
- Darkie Lane and Brickyard Lane Junction - At the junction with Darkie Lane, turn left and follow the road to the next junction with Ulwell Road.
- Ulwell Road and Darkie Lane Junction - At the junction with Ulwell Road, turn left and then right into the layby at the start of the route.
||On Road Ride
||Layby on Ulwell Road, Swanage
||670m (2200 feet) approx
A figure of 8 very hilly ride around the Purbeck hills following the sides of the hills.
The video below shows the full ride at 3 times speed
Best viewed in HD 720p or 1080p modes via the cog icon on the video player.
Move your mouse over the elevation line to view the location on the route map.
Download GPX file for your GPS or Smart Phone. Right-Click or Control-Click and select Save link as to download the file.
Download KML file for Google Earth. Right-Click or Control-Click and select Save link as to download the file.
These routes have been recorded using a Garmin GPS unit. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the available data files due to differences between GPS devices.
Please take care when cycling or walking near cliff edges or steep paths.